This morning I was determined to indulge in a cheat meal after my workout. I was dreaming of a waffle breakfast with the butter melted in the pockets, topped with warm syrup, crispy bacon, and eggs. Then I passed an Indian grill, and started thinking about warm naan with curried chicken and rice…I am obviously a foodie.
I completed my workout and immediately craved a healthy meal, so I ended up stuffing myself with a large salad with shrimp from Salata!
So how do we beat these cravings that take over our thoughts and misguide us from our goals?
Here are some tips that work for those times that you are craving a meal that won’t end with you feeling your best!
- Hit a workout, you aren’t going to get out of a workout craving a candy bar.
- Get creative, make a healthier version of the meal/dessert you are craving!
- Listen to a motivating podcast, if you are motivated, you are more likely to stick with your goals!
- Eat a big salad, if you are full of leafy greens and veggies, you won’t crave those sugary foods.
- Make a superfood-packed protein shake, protein is satiating, and the perfect snack that can be a variety of flavors, including chocolate, strawberry cream, orangcicle, and more.
Most of the time, our cravings are signals that we are in need of nutrients, so any of the above suggestions are ones that will aid in fulfilling those needs.